Growth, development & opportunity through football

News Article

Pocklington Pip Poppleton

23 Dec 2012

Osbaldwick U15s      0
Pocklington Predators U15s      5


On a wind-swept pitch, Pocklington successfully fought off Poppleton’s attempts to take the FA Cup trophy from them with a 2 – 1 victory in what was a tough, mid-field battle of attrition.

Just days before Christmas, Pocklington were drawn against, perhaps, their toughest rivals in the quarter final FA Cup competition this Sunday in their last match for 2012. After having their previous 2 matches postponed, both teams were eager to get under way. Poppleton were attempting to take the FA Cup trophy from Pocklington, while they were attempting to defend their title as FA Cup holders.

Poppleton, who had yet to lose a match this season, hosted this FA Cup draw on a slightly smaller pitch that doesn’t always suit Pocklington’s style of play, coupled with strong cross-winds, affecting both teams’ ability to control the game.

Despite the conditions, it was Pocklington that struck first just 10 minutes into play, with Huw Jones taking advantage of an early defensive mix-up, placing the ball low; just out of reach of the keeper whose efforts to scramble to the incoming shot were not sufficient.

Yet with both teams seemingly evenly matched, the game took on more of a mid-field battle, with the stronger of the two teams ultimately gaining superiority. Pocklington were able to conjure another opportunity for themselves just before half-time as George Pilkington gave a wonderful cross to Ben Potter whose header just scraped the cross-bar, leaving the half-time score still 1 – nil to the Predators.

Play resumed as before, with few chances for either team, and most of the hard-work largely in the mid-field. Being fortunate to have the likes of Huw Jones and Nathan Smith playing in the centre to help grind the opposition down, and with Eric Hogan and Jamie Harvey taking care of the defence, Pocklington were in an enviable position.

The Predators were able to exploit this position around the 70 minute mark as Poppleton conceded a corner from what was almost an own goal from a bumbled defensive clearance. Standing very close to the far post, Sez Altin made a brave interception to head the corner cross into the back of the net, hoisting Pocklington’s lead to 2 – nil.

In an uncharacteristic slip, Pocklington gave the home side an opportunity after conceding a free-kick, which Poppleton took full advantage of lofting a high ball that seemed to hang in the air, edging just beyond keeper Sam Flinton’s reach.

Buoyed by this last minute goal, Poppleton came again with a flourish, but sadly the clock was against them, and they had to concede their first defeat of the season, allowing Pocklington to continue through the semi-finals, in their effort to retain the FA Cup trophy.

Leigh Hogan & Kaine Varley

<< Back to Club News

FacebookTwitterDZone It!Digg It!StumbleUponTechnoratiDel.icio.usNewsVineRedditBlinklistAdd diigo bookmark

Forthcoming Club Events

Club Sponsors