Growth, development & opportunity through football

News Article

Whitewash for Goole

29 Jan 2013

Goole Town U19s      0
Pocklington Town U19s      7


On Tuesday night Rolawn Sponsored Pocklington Town took on Goole Town on a blustery night where the visitors enjoyed the spoils by totally controlling the game from the kick off through to the final whistle.

Pocklington almost got off to the brightest of starts in the 1st minute with Tom Reay dancing his way into the 18 yard box only to clear over the keeper and sadly the bar as the away team attempted to make the most of the wind advantage in the first half. In the 4th minute the Goole net bulged for the first time as a perfectly flighted corner from Craig Mathie was forcefully headed in past the flapping goalkeeper by team captain Fraser Papperill.
Pock continued to bombard the Goole goal with the pace and movement of the forwards cutting apart the defence on several occasions, on the 18th min the pressure paid off as a quality touch from Reay allowed him to turn his man and feed the ball to James Hudson who finished the ball off the post from the edge of the eighteen yard box.

Ten minutes later in the 28th a neat passage of interplay and one touch passes between a number of the forwards and mid-fielders resulted in a shot across the face of the keeper, which was ably parried. However Hudson was the fastest to react to the save a scored his second from six yards.

Leading towards half-time Pocklington were looking comfortable but knew they needed a buffer having to go into a second half against the wind. On the 42nd minute Steve Bielby showed a wonderful sense of awareness and creativity to put the visitors 4 up at half time. As the ball was floated back into the eighteen yard box from an early attack, Bielby made a run from a deep midfield position to header the ball backwards and lob the keeper from 15 yards out.
At 4-0 Pocklington knew the game was still nowhere near over as Goole were typically a route one team with an enormous sized pitch and a supporting wind, in all their previous wins in the league they had also come from behind in the second half.

In the 46th minute Pock had an early warning as a soft free kick was given away thirty yards out. The Goole striker rattled Luke MacNaughton’s crossbar.
However, Pocklington battled through as a tenacious back line performance from Dan Andrews, Tom Ley, Papperill, Sam Beales and later Sam Thompson fought to maintain a clean sheet. After absorbing a spell of pressure Ben Alport broke from deep past two Goole mid-fielders to slot in Chris Saltmer to run 40 yards, round the keeper and awkwardly poke home to ease the tension.

Pocklington truly had the game in their grasp, breaking at will and in one such break Hudson accidently caught the home goalkeeper late in a 50/50 challenge, one of the Goole centre backs took exception to this and retaliated resulting in his sending off on the 75th minute.

From this point forward the game was far beyond a comeback for a Goole and a flurry of rash challenges ensued. To add insult to the already humbling 5-0 score line, Reay turned in a neat finish from two yards out and a majestic header after some good wide play from his strike partner on the 82nd and 83rd minutes to finish the game 7-0. A fantastic team performance from Pocklington to take them to a heady second place in the league. There next game is on Tuesday night at home against Harrogate town.

Tom Hughes

<< Back to Club News

FacebookTwitterDZone It!Digg It!StumbleUponTechnoratiDel.icio.usNewsVineRedditBlinklistAdd diigo bookmark

Forthcoming Club Events

Club Sponsors