Growth, development & opportunity through football

News Article

Pocklington Town 1 - 2 Crown FC

26 Oct 2013

Pocklington Town      1
Crown FC      2

MARSHAL TYRES sponsored Pocklington's Humber team suffered a frustrating afternoon last weekend in losing by the odd goal in three, despite playing some excellent football and creating the better chances.

Again forced in to having to make several changes to their starting line up, Town made a poor start as they gifted possession to their visitors with poor passes that allowed Crown to build up a spell of pressure. Led by Skipper Mark Watkinson, the Town defence of Jim Drewery and George Alport stuck to their task though and with Alex Cutts and James Haigh a threat down the flanks, Town gradually got into their stride

On 18 minutes, Steve Bielby picked off a Crown pass to set up a counter attack that released Scott Sullivan for a run on goal but with the defence getting back quickly, Towns forward saw his effort blocked on the line. Alport made two great headed interceptions as Crown pressed but another Town counter put Martyn Day through on goal.

Another great chance went begging as the Crown keeper was able to make an easy save and Pock were made to pay for their misses on 31 minutes when they were unable to clear a Crown corner. With the second cross delivered to the back post, Cutts was unable to prevent an own goal under pressure to put the visitors ahead.

The Crown keeper was called into action again on 38 minutes when Kev Goodwins pass behind the Crown defence played in Cutts. With the keeper 30 yards out he did well to block Cuttsy's shot with his head, with Sullivan seeing his follow up effort headed off the line to see Town end the half a goal down.

An Adam Thomas free kick on 51 minutes picked out Drewery at the far post for a header that went narrowly wide  but Town missed another great chance on 53 minutes when Bielby played 
Haigh through on goal. With the Town player not having played for a month, he took too long to get his shot off and allowed the Crown keeper to make another easy save from what should have been the leveller.

A Drewery free kick picked out Bielby for a chance that was blocked on the line but Crown doubled their advantage on 70 when a mistimed tackle in the Pock area allowed Crown to score from the penalty spot. Pock got back into the game on 81 minutes when a long throw from Cutts into the Crown area was only partially cleared and Sullivan let rip with a absolute screamer into the top corner from 25 yards.

Sullivan's ability created a great chance on 84 minutes when he beat his full back to deliver the ball along the 6 yard line that no Pock player was able to force home and with Bielby having another shot blocked inside the 6 yard line, Town finished the game strongly but without being able to find the equaliser.

Despite the frustration of not getting anything from a game that they played well in, Pock can take a lot of heart from creating a lot of chances along with some excellent performances from Lewis Cant and MOM Bielby.

Next week sees Pock on their travels as they take on St. Andrews in Hull, with yet more enforced changes to the squad, players meet at the club at 12.15 please

Richard Bower

<< Back to Club News

FacebookTwitterDZone It!Digg It!StumbleUponTechnoratiDel.icio.usNewsVineRedditBlinklistAdd diigo bookmark

Forthcoming Club Events

Club Sponsors