Growth, development & opportunity through football

News Article

Pocklington Predators U16's 3 - 0 Wheldrake U16's

01 Dec 2013

The Predators remain unbeaten in all cup competitions this season having overcome the cumbrous challenge from Wheldrake on Sunday  to move through to the quarter finals of the wonderfully named Alf Bolder County Cup.  This latest quarter final booking creates a hat-trick as Pocklington are also in the quarter final of the York Mitchell Soccer League Cup and the York FA Senior Cup.

What made this victory particularly special was that Pocklington were briefed to let their football do the talking in this sometimes spicy encounter and for doing so,  the Predators were  worthy winners against a strong side who substituted guile for galumph. The first 20 minutes were evenly balanced although neither keeper was troubled as the match ebbed from one end to the other.  Sam Jefferson had the first real chance of the game seeing a last ditch tackle end his mazy run, but Wheldrake too looked to bluster their way through early on.  

The Predators took the lead 20 minutes into the first half.  Joe Milner collected the ball and his neat pass into the area was picked up by Sez Altin who dinked right and then finished low with his right foot into the bottom corner.  Town played some neat football with Ed Borrie effectively over-lapping down the right-hand side and troubling the defence with his crosses.  Huw Jones’ volley was headed away for a corner and Ben Potter saw his resulting header well saved.  Wheldrake looked for an equaliser, but found no way passed the back line which alongside Borrie included Harry Crusher, Stewart Wright and Eric Hogan who all had strong games. 

Predators now  seem to have settled into a pattern of play this season;  much of which is built from the back from Sam Flinton in the Town goal.   On one quick break just before half-time, Hogan’s great block tackle released Jones who found Borrie.  Borrie crossed to Milner who fired just wide to end an excellent move and send Pocklington into the break with a slender lead.

In the second half Wheldrake upped their physical presence and twice tested the patience of the referee, once with a booking and the other with a finger-wagging talking to.  The Predators stuck to their task with Milner and George Pilkington linking well.  The two were involved in Pocklington's second of the morning as Altin sent Pilkington way and he found Milner who finished neatly.  Now Pocklington relaxed and looked more comfortable playing the ball around Wheldrake.

Altin was involved in Pocklington's 3rd of the afternoon.  Holding the ball up he knocked the ball back to Fraser Hansen at left back.  His sweet pass in the left channel found Jefferson whose control and pace was too much for Wheldrake to handle and he blasted Town into an unassailable lead and through to their third quarter final.

Jim Hansen

<< Back to Club News

FacebookTwitterDZone It!Digg It!StumbleUponTechnoratiDel.icio.usNewsVineRedditBlinklistAdd diigo bookmark

Forthcoming Club Events

Club Sponsors