Growth, development & opportunity through football

News Article

Pocklington Town 2 - 3 Hornsea Town

01 Feb 2014

Tom RogersDespite racing into a two goal lead, MARSHAL TYRES sponsored Pocklington fell to defeat at home against Hornsea Town last weekend in a game that had plenty of talking points and controversy.
With Pock confident after their last two good wins, they pressed from the off and got amongst the Hornsea players, not allowing them to settle on the ball. The Hornsea No. 5 was lucky not to go into the book when he blatantly body checked Aziz Barakat who was about to break through on goal, with the Town player getting a bloodied mouth for his troubles as the Referee showed leniency. With Skipper Tom Rogers the catalyst for everything that was good about Towns play, James Haigh won the ball off the Hornsea right back and played a superb reverse pass behind the Hornsea defence. Tom Reay made an excellent run to remain onside and then showed calmness in outpacing the defender and finishing clinically from the edge of the area.
Pock were really on their game and doubled their lead on 14 minutes when after a spell of pressure on the Hornsea area, the ball was partially cleared and Rogers made a great interception and set up David O'Connor for a lovely chipped finish from 10 yards out. Despite playing against the strong breeze, Town were pressing the visitors back and should have done better with some of their approach play as they started to take too many touches on the ball. This allowed Hornsea to counter attack and from a throw in, Pock allowed them to get a cross in and after a near post scramble, the ball was poked home from 2 yards out.
It was now Hornseas turn to enjoy a spell of pressure and when Towns midfield stood off, keeper Adam Thomas made a great diving save to his right when Pock allowed a shooting chance from 25 yards but with the first half entering it's last seconds, Hornsea levelled the game when Pock failed to get on to a clearance and a mis hit cross shot ended up in the far corner. Despite this setback there was no need for Town to panic but as the second half wore on, they struggled to find the same rhythm to their game as Hornsea got tighter to them and became physically more competitive. Tempers started to fray for both teams as the Referee issued 3 cautions in as many minutes but some of his decision making left both teams baffled with a lack of consistency a real problem.
Despite clearing a Hornsea cross from under their bar, Town were not remaining calm on the ball and Hornsea were able to work a shooting chance on the hour that brought another save by Thomas. Hornsea forced the loose ball home but their forward was clearly offside when the ball was played and with Pock responding to a quick throw out to Haigh by Thomas, Sam Beale saw his effort parried by the Hornsea keeper.
With the game turning into a scrappy midfield battle, a moment of controversy proved decisive as on 75 minutes, a Hornsea clearance was chased after by their No. 14. The Assistant raised his flag for offside but was overruled by the Referee because an onside Hornsea player beat the No. 14 to the ball and with Pock struggling to recover their ground, the visitors made it 3-2 with a close range finish after Thomas had saved the first effort. With the Pock players incensed by this their protests were ignored and the goal stood and despite Pock creating several half chance as the clock wound down, they were unable to force an equaliser that their efforts deserved. Tom Rogers was deservedly the MOM with Jim Drewery, George Alport, David O'Connor, James Haigh and Tom Reay also doing well but the final whistle blew on a frustrating afternoons work for the lads.
This was a disapointing way to lose the game and although questions can be asked of the officials, Pocks second half performance lacked the necessary composure and quality to get them the three points. This weekend sees them with another tough game, at home again as they take on Sculcoates Amateurs. Players meet at the club at 12.30 pm please.

Pocklington's other three teams games all fell victim to the weather with heavy overnight rain meaning that two of the clubs three pitches were unplayable. This coming weekend sees the 2nds away against Middleton Rovers in an ER cup 1/4 final while the 3rds are at home against Holme Rovers 2nds, also in the ER cup. Pocks Driffield league team travel to play Hilderthorpe AFC.

Richard Bower

<< Back to Club News

FacebookTwitterDZone It!Digg It!StumbleUponTechnoratiDel.icio.usNewsVineRedditBlinklistAdd diigo bookmark

Forthcoming Club Events

Club Sponsors